NMLS Constitution as from 5th March 2013
1. The Society shall be known as the Norfolk Mineral and Lapidary Society
2. The objects of the Society are to encourage the educational and scientific study of natural minerals; to organise and undertake field trips for these purposes; and encourage craftsmanship in relation to them all on a non-commercial basis.
3. The Society shall be organised by an elected committee, which shall comprise of Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and three others. The Committee will have the power to co-opt additional members as and when required. An Auditor will be appointed from non-committee members.
4. The Society shall meet on a regular basis.
5. The Members of the Society shall pay an annual subscription, the amount to be decided by the Committee. Subscriptions will be due on 1st January each year. Memberships not renewed by 28th February each year will be considered to have lapsed and all privileges to have been withdrawn.
6. Society Members shall at all times follow the Rockhound Code and
(a) Ask permission to take specimens from private land;
(b) Close gates which need to be closed
(c) Avoid damage or injury to crops, stock and property
(d) Observe safety precautions
(e) Respect private property, and undertake no specimen hunting without the owner’s permission.
(f) Restore all sites to the state in which they were found.
The Committee shall have the power to expel any member known or believed to have violated these rules.
7. Any member who conducts him/herself in a manner which could bring the Society into disrepute, will have his/her conduct considered by the Committee which shall have the option to suspend or cancel membership. Benefits of membership will cease immediately the individual is notified of the Committee’s decision to suspend or cancel membership. In such event the member will forfeit any subscription already paid.
8. The sale of items by members at a Society open day or auction is permitted; a percentage of the sale proceeds will be donated to Society funds. The minimum percentage will be determined at the monthly meeting preceding the event.
9. Withdrawals from the Society’s Bank/Building Society accounts are to be made by any two of the following:- Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer.
10. The Society’s Constitution may only be changed at an Annual General Meeting or Extraordinary General Meeting. Any proposed changes must be proposed and seconded in writing and forwarded to the Honorary Secretary to be received at least 28 days prior to the AGM/EGM.
11. The Annual General Meeting of the Society shall be held in March of each year. Other General Meetings (Extraordinary General Meetings) shall be held as and when appropriate at the instigation of the Committee or five members in writing to the Secretary A minimum of three weeks notice of the AGM or EGM shall be given to all members, together with details of the business to be discussed. Only fully paid up members and Honorary Life Members will be eligible to vote at an AGM or EGM.
12. On field trips a responsible adult must accompany any person under the age of 16 years.
13. In the event of the Society’s disbandonment, at the Extraordinary General Meeting called for the purpose, the Committee and members at that time shall have the power to disperse any residue of funds and equipment to other clubs/societies involved in any form of lapidary/mineralogy.